Mokume Gane Pendant

Mokume Gane Pendant
Julie Picarello Style

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Color for Up ‘n Smoke or…how to paint a checkerboard!

Remember the bland piggy?
There were actually 2 or 3 more attempts.  Didn't like any of them.  Just couldn't cook anything up that had any interest.....

So, I stripped off all of the paint, yet again!! 
 
Leading me to color in the form of a checkerboard.  I had a difficult time finding an easy tutorial for painting a checkerboard, so I combined a few to create my own fairly easy way.
I don’t have pictures of the first few steps because I didn’t know I would decide to make a mini-tutorial.
After deciding the area you want to be your checkerboard, tape it off. 
The entire area of your checkerboard should be painted in your lightest color.  In my case, white.  After that is totally dry you can start taping out your pattern.
Decide how large you want your squares, based on the thickness of available tape.  Personally, I prefer Frog Tape.

How Frog Tape Works
It is available in several widths
1”, 1 1/2” and 2” at most home supply stores. I used 1” in my project.
Tape off  your first line using small pieces of your tape at both ends of your checkerboard to get a precise width on your line.

I don’t have actual pictures of this step, so I apologize for this mock-up on my work table!!


Now, move the scraps of tape (or tear new ones) and place for your second and successive rows.

After you have done the process, repeat it on the perpendicular, creating squares. 

After making sure you remove all  scrap pieces of tape, paint your entire area with the second color.  In my case, red.





When the paint dries, remove all the interior tape and repeat the process covering the  red squares in both directions. 

Paint the red again, and let it dry completely. 

Remove the tape again and
almost-instant checkerboard!


I will post a picture of the completed piggy sign as soon as I finally paint “Up ‘n Smoke”!


Well, here it is... 
The rusty pig that nearly broke me!!  Hope he likes it!!



No comments:

Post a Comment