Mokume Gane Pendant

Mokume Gane Pendant
Julie Picarello Style

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Up ‘n Smoke

One of my co-workers has a competition BBQ team.  He brought this chemically-rusted metal pig to me and asked me to paint "Up 'n Smoke", their team name, on it.

 
Piece of cake, right?  Well, no.
 
    

10-oz. Vintage Gold Satin Metallic Paint
My first attempt was using Martha Stewart Metallic Paint.
I don't have any pictures of that.  To this point I hadn't realized what a trial this project was going to be!  It has to be the most expensive 'freebie'



I've ever done!
 osl-109-l_w.jpg1 Shot Lettering Enamels
The second try, I used 1Shot gold automotive paint that I purchased at Summit Racing Equipment in McDonough, GA..
 
As you can see below, it seemed too "bland" --- and nobody likes a bland pig!  So, I decided to outline it in red. 
Not so hot! 
I had tried to curl the lettering some to conjure the illusion of smoke.
My piggy plan was actually going up in smoke!
~*~
So, out came the paint stripper!!
 I used Citristrip Stripping Gel from The Home Depot.
Let me tell you, this stuff is FANTASTIC!!

 
No fumes or odor, and it curdled that paint right up!

There were actually 2 or 3 more attempts.  Didn't like any of them.  Just couldn't cook anything up that had any interest.....
Then I decided it needed COLOR…
and another post …..











1 comment: